- Many of us at Grace Bible Church have loved going deep into our Amos bible study! It’s SO exciting to dive into this powerful Old Testament book! Many of us have studied much of the Bible but had never stepped into Amos. Yet, all of us decided we wanted a new challenge! Why study this book? Amos is sandwiched into a section of Scripture called the “Minor Prophets”. Maybe it’s just me, but I think I avoided this book because it seemed so very “minor”. Can there be anything new to learn here?
YES! The 9 chapters of Amos portray a typical society in human history that had become consumed with its own importance and eventual abandonment of God’s preeminence. Throughout this book, God used Amos to call our attention to the PRIDE of Israel, the IDOLATRY of Israel, the SOCIETAL EVILS of Israel, and the impending JUDGEMENT on Israel. Amos is sent from Judah to Israel to point out the people’s sin and to point up to God’s constant mercy. God shows Himself in this book in fascinating ways. How?
- He is a LION who roars in response to His people’s disobedience.
- He is the divine JUDGE who will call to account His people’s idolatry and subsequent oppression of their fellow men.
- He is the CREATOR who sits above the vaulted sky and orchestrates the symphony of time.
- Finally, He is who He always is–the patient spurned FATHER who asks His people to return to Him because He loves them completely!
This book is so very timely for us.
Whether ancient Israel or Rome or America, the SOCIETAL CYCLE OF IDOLATRY AND OPPRESSION always follows a typical pattern: a society blessed with physical prosperity is often disregards God which leads to neglecting other people. We are forever ignoring what Jesus called the greatest commandments, “to LOVE GOD AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER.” His judgment is consistently executed on disobedient civilizations. If we are to learn from the book of Amos, we must ask ourselves some questions: How much of the world’s values do we weave into our Christian faith, not realizing we’ve compromised the exclusivity of God and become idolatrous? How much of our society’s love of luxury has wounded fellow human beings made in His image? Finally, how do we get out of this cycle?
SEEK THE LORD. The most glorious and hopeful section of this book centers in Amos chapter 5 where three different times, God offers Israel a divine escape hatch and opportunity for cultural restoration. He offers FULL PARDON, FULL HEALING, and FULL BLESSING if they will seek Him and Him only. He is the Ever Patient One.
The book of Amos will challenge, convict, and renew our hearts. He will enable us to see our culture more clearly & guide us to responding appropriately to His loving leadership. We will see age-old patterns of human (and God’s) history dropped into these 9 chapters and boldly shared by the prophet Amos. Not bad for a “minor” prophet. 🙂
You ready for the challenge? Download this FREE study at www.grace-bible.org!
Tristie Fisher Abby Anderson Perry Carolyn Jones
Amos | Grace Bible Church
This seven lesson study of the Old Testament book of Amos will help you see the heart of God’s just nature and how His relationship with His people can include judgment for corrupt worship, injustice and oppression of the poor. GRACE-BIBLE.ORG