OBSERVATION IS A SKILL.
Studying God’s Word deeply is primarily….to SEEING what is there. I promise if you take one verse or ten and write down things you SEE…you will be changed. All of the sudden, the WORD is not just about YOU, but GOD!
I loved teaching a series on selected Psalms. (check it out here). Even now, I share these tips in almost every talk because someone taught me! (2 Tim. 2:2) This changed the way I read the Bible–and consequently, my love for the Word! For fear of sounding too much like a car salesman, I share with you (I have funny friends!)…
“Tristie’s EASY OBSERVATION TIPS”
- How many verses are there in the text?
- How many times is God mentioned in this text?
- How many times in Jesus mentioned in this text?
- Who are the chief characters?
- What are the key words?
- What are the direct commands?
- *For additional challenge:
- Where have I seen this same thing ( This is what I call a “Timeless Principle” in the Old Testament! For example, some promises are exclusively for ISRAEL, but where on the New Testament do I see a parallelism? GREAT EXAMPLE- The Great Commandment in DEUTERONOMY and then Jesus repeats this in all Gospels!)
- What are the verbs in this text?
- Where is the author writing from?
- What kind of book is this I am reading? For example, is this a “Prison Epistle” (like Philippians or Colossians) or a “Gospel” like Mark or John?
- Enjoy digging the gems of blessing out of God’s Word!
I’m so excited for you to see the only written word on paper become what God intends it to be in your life-ALIVE!