AUTHOR’S NOTE: This is from 2010! It is astounding how God has used this study of the Book of John. May you be blessed as you learn more about the Savior who wants to love, lead, and refresh you!
HELLO “LIVING WATER” FRIENDS! ARE YOU READY TO DIVE IN?
If you’ve printed off your study from the FB site “Living Water for a Thirsty Soul” or at www.tristiefisher.com (click “here”), then you have already looked through the questions and read my note to you at the beginning.
**Isn’t it wonderful to think that one of our first assignments is just to READ THE WORD? SATURATE YOUR MIND WITH TRUTH.
*I thought as you begin to read through John, you might enjoy a little extra information to go along with your reading.
*Any time you read a book of the Bible (whether Epistle or Gospel) you want to know some info about the background or overview of the book. I think it adds COLOR to the text and new understanding of the intended purpose!
HERE A FEW FACTS ABOUT THE BOOK AND THE APOSTLE:
- *The Fourth Gospel-The Book of John
- *The Author-John
- The Date-Between A.D. 85-90
- The Audience that John is writing to-Gentiles
- The Reason he wrote the book-to answer the question all people have had since the beginning of time-“Who is Jesus Christ?“
- *He is also known as one of the “Sons of Thunder” Jesus refers to. (In another chapter, their mother asks that her sons be foremost in Jesus’ kingdom.)
- *The Apostle John also wrote I John, II John, III John, and Revelation.
- *Nearly all commentators agree that the Book of John is the best book to describe who Jesus says He is.
- *It is exceedingly evangelistic.
- *According to tradition, John did not die a martyr’s death, but was banished to the Isle of Patmos after being boiled in oil! He died years later of a “natural” death.
- *The Book of John is 21 chapters.
* Hope that little overview gives you a taste for what you are starting to read in the Book of John. I plan on writing a commentary for the first few chapters in my next post.
- *May I suggest that you begin reading John chapter 1 and read through to John chapter 4? Grab a pen and paper, have your Bible Study with you and simply jot things down that are interesting to you.
- *Questions I ask might be “Why did Jesus do that? or “What does this verse really mean?”
- *I love to write down verses that ENCOURAGE ME to “KEEP ON KEEPING ON”! I write down these verses (that reorient my mind to what is true) and post them around my house — even in my car! It truly is “Living Water” and “The Bread of Life” for me.
I KNOW IT CAN BE FOR YOU,TOO.
May the LORD bless your time with Him,
Tristie Fisher, 2010