I’m praying you are enjoying being SATURATED by His Word! In regard to the Seven “I AM’s” (or Names) of Jesus Christ, there are a few critical things to observe. This is, perhaps, the most powerful part of the book. WHY? Because HE identifies Himself through HIS own words.
1. I was astounded as I looked at the book again and noticed the words “I AM”. Remember, the cultural non-believing Jewish community did not even speak the sacred name of GOD (Yahweh). YET, Jesus proclaims it boldly! HE IS BRAVE ABOUT HIS IDENTITY!
2.Interesting observation for me: 2 of the 7 “I AM’s” are in direct relation to His identity as a shepherd. HE is the “DOOR” and He is the “GOOD SHEPHERD” of the sheep.
3.I was surprised that all the names of Christ (again the “I AM’S) are located between Chapters 6 and 15.
4.Finally, as you read this list, THINK DEEPLY (some call this study technique “interpreting” a bible verse) what you think it means.
- WHAT DOES IT MEAN THAT HE IS “MY BREAD OF LIFE”? IS HE MY TRUE NOURISHMENT OR DO I CLING TO THINGS OTHER THAN JESUS?
- WHAT DOES IT MEAN THAT HE IS THE “WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE. NO ONE COMES TO THE FATHER BUT THROUGH ME.” DOES THIS MEAN HE IS THE ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN?
- LASTLY, PERHAP MY FAVORITE VERSE IS JOHN 11:25 . Why? BECAUSE I BELIEVE JESUS DEFEATED DEATH AND MY SIN NATURE AT THE CROSS! DO YOU BELIEVE THIS AND HAVE THIS SECURITY?
HERE ARE THE SEVEN ”I AM’S” of Jesus Christ:
1. “I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE.” (John 6:35, 41, 46, and 51)
2. “I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD.” (John 8:12)
3. “I AM THE DOOR OF THE SHEEP” (John 10:7,9)
4. “I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD.” (John 10:11,14)
5. “I AM THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE.” (John 11:25)
6.”I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE.” (John 14:6)
7. “I AM THE TRUE VINE.” (John 15:1, 5)
Blessings in HIM,
Tristie Fisher, 2010
“Living Water for a Thirsty Soul”